Sunday, April 4, 2010

Different Masks





Wednesday April 8th 2009


I finally got around reading Issue one of the Australian Horror Writers magazine: Midnight Echo. My mistake when submitting myself was handing in pieces that were positively ancient (in time elapsed since composing them but also my immature syntax) and only really doing it because they adhered to word Content.
Instead of handing in paltry half-efforts because that's all I had in the trunk I should've just let it fly and submitted nothing - or sat down and wrote something else ball breaking and original.

Anyways, that's what I've learnt reading the stories: that the authors here would not have come to the table lightly. And I know that writers like Felicity Dowker actually compose with a specific anthology or market in mind.

So, just like Steve King does in Nightmares and Dreamscapes, the bottomfeeders will be carefully swept under the rug -and everything to appear from now on in any format will be relatively new in regards to writing style and date composed.

I printed out Midnight Echo in its entirety and carry it around with me in an old-fashioned satchel thingy. All I can say is thank Christ for this realm called the internet; I scorn the bloody thing at times but without it - I wouldn't know there were hundreds of other people out there just like me. People that don't think you're eccentric for carrying around, and dipping into, a collection of macabre stories by a bunch of Aussie writers. My mistake was once leaving it around as perhaps a conversation starter. Let's just say I won't be doing that again because it was almost thrown out with no more aplomb than if it were a dirty and shed snake skin. 

No comments:

Post a Comment