Sunday, April 4, 2010

Different Masks





I love Clive Barker's art; like a lot of people I didn't at the start. But there's something about it that speaks to you. It works on you, demanding attention. Years ago ... back in the day, as they say, I was a little miffed to find out he was gay. Here was a guy who was my mentor: almost a father figure. (Don't get me wrong, I'm not homophobic). :) His words are beyond beautiful. Intelligence reigns in his work. No wonder Stephen King felt the way he did when he uttered the words: I have seen the future of Horror.


But you get used to it ... just like his drawings. And eventually you wouldn't have it any other way: because it suits him. He is the King of alternative ... and represents everything that goes against the grain. 


And he's still like a father figure to me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment